Omio News Blog

Huawei Ascend P2 announced at MWC, as the world’s fastest smartphone

Popular low-cost handset manufacturer Huawei has unveiled its successor to the P1 – the Android Jelly Bean Ascend P2 – said to be the world’s fastest mobile phone.

Its claim of the world fastest handset comes from the inclusion of Cat 4 LTE support. That boasts  maximum downloading speeds of 150Mbps.

In contrast, Apple iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 LTE has Cat 3, which can only muster 100Mbps.

The Ascend P2 has a 4.7-inch 1,280 x 720 gorilla glass display, noted to be the world’s first HD in-cell technology that is 30 per cent thinner than other screens.

This is with a ppi of 315 and a brightness of 500 nits, low power consumption, where it can also be operated with gloves.

It is driven by a quad-core 1.5GHz processor, with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage and no support for microSD cards.

The chassis is 8.4mm thin and houses a 13-megapixel camera, with BSI version 3, HDR videoing capabilities and an enhanced 2 x zoom resolution, plus a dedicated camera button.

Powering the phone is a 2,420mAh battery that could offer longer battery life, over the HTC One 2,300 and Galaxy S3 2,100mAh versions.

It consumes 10 per cent less power when making calls and a further 20 per cent less, when gaining a reception: overall, 30 per cent more power efficient than the Galaxy S3.

This is all while it has 25 per cent less charging time; thanks to the 2amp charger (1amp is the norm).

The overlay to Android Jelly Bean, UniHome, comes with 100 different themes for personalisation, with Cloud+ online storage; AirSharing for multi-terminal interaction; smart reading and NFC support.

The UI has no application menu. Instead, all the apps are stored on its home screen and inside folders.

There are also improved uploading speeds, which have been clocked at 520Kbps in tests – compared to the Samsung Galaxy S3 240Kbps.

Huawei’s Ascent P2 is due to arrive in the colours of black and white, globally, in Q2 and with a cost of 399 Euros (£350).

Tags:

Rob Kerr